Site updates

For discussing the sociotype.com site. Any questions, suggestions, critiques, or other topic regarding the site should be posted here.

Re: Site updates

Postby aestrivex » Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:59 pm

RSV3 wrote:Famous People
-Adding the ability for users to add famous people to the site, type famous people, and provide reasons for their conclusions.
-Allow users to configure what types for famous people are displayed on the site--i.e., they can choose to use the aggregate of all the typings or just one user's conclusions (if this makes any sense).

This feature seems fine in principle. What is dumb, is the way they are handled currently, where types are treated with finality, as though if I don't agree with your conclusion, you are right and I am wrong.

Making it inherent in the way that the feature is treated that types of famous people are opinions would be much better, where it says "RSV3 thinks such-and-such is IEE" rather than "such-and-such is IEE."

But having a database of typings (such as what I maintained or the current spreadsheet) that describes that ambiguity in the data by default is no problem.
aestrivex

Postby Arti Jesso » Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:42 am

Hi! Are you going to translate site into other languages? Your's point on the topic has little in common with the material on our Russian sites, I found it very interesting and amazing. But it isn't easy to understand materiel in the native language sometimes, of course it's very hard in foreign one.
Google translate also have some problems :D
Arti Jesso

Postby RSV3 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:13 pm

aestrivex wrote:
RSV3 wrote:Famous People
-Adding the ability for users to add famous people to the site, type famous people, and provide reasons for their conclusions.
-Allow users to configure what types for famous people are displayed on the site--i.e., they can choose to use the aggregate of all the typings or just one user's conclusions (if this makes any sense).

This feature seems fine in principle. What is dumb, is the way they are handled currently, where types are treated with finality, as though if I don't agree with your conclusion, you are right and I am wrong.

Making it inherent in the way that the feature is treated that types of famous people are opinions would be much better, where it says "RSV3 thinks such-and-such is IEE" rather than "such-and-such is IEE."

But having a database of typings (such as what I maintained or the current spreadsheet) that describes that ambiguity in the data by default is no problem.

I've updated the site to generally reflect these concerns. Below each photograph are two buttons: the first button ("T") allows any member to type the person and give their reasoning, the second button ("I") shows who has typed the person and what their reasoning was for their conclusion. The person will then be associated with any type or trait that at least 30% of members (who have made a conclusion) agree upon.
RSV3

Previous

Return to Site Discussion