The Introvert/Extrovert Dichotomy
Extraversion / Introversion is one of the 4 Jungian dichotomies, and one of the 15 Reinin dichotomies. Extraversion in socionics is a perceptual quality defined by a focus on the characteristics and behavior of objects (people, things, events) outside the observer. In contrast, introversion means a focus on the observer's response to and perception of objects. Augusta likened the difference between extraverted and introverted perception to the difference between bodies and fields in physics. "Bodies" are objects with mass and certain qualities, while "fields" are the realm of interaction between bodies.
In socionics, IM elements, information aspects, and types can all be considered extraverted or introverted. Extraverted types are often called extratims (from 'extraverted type of information metabolism'), and introverted types introtims.
A common misconception, also compounded by some interpretations of MBTI or even of Jung's typology, is that extratims are extraverted as in "socially outgoing", and intratims are introverted as in "socially reserved". In socionics terms, however, that is not so. An introtim may be extremely socially outgoing and even prefer a situation with broad and intensive social interaction as in a large group; an extratim may be socially reserved in terms of preferring social interactions limited to a very small number of select individuals. What is more important, in terms of socionics extraversion/introversion, is whether the individual is inclined to take the initiative in establishing the social interaction (of whatever kind), or prefers to let others take this initiative.
- Psychic energy more often flows outwards.
- Energy level increases when interacting with a large group of people.
- Energy level decreases when they are alone.
- Generally have higher energy levels.
- More often focused on their surroundings.
- Tend to be more active and initiating.
- Often make new friends easily.
- Often better at presenting themselves.
- Often prefer to work in a team.
- Psychic energy more often flows inward.
- Energy level increases when alone.
- Energy level decreases when interacting with a large group of people.
- Generally have lower energy levels.
- More often focused on their thoughts and feelings.
- Tend to be more passive, less initiating.
- Often do not have many friends.
- Often better at concentrating.
- Often prefer to work alone.
Introvert Types: LII (INTj) SEI (ISFp) LSI (ISTj) IEI (INFp) ESI (ISFj) ILI (INTp) EII (INFj) SLI (ISTp)
Extrovert Types: ILE (ENTp) ESE (ESFj) SLE (ESTp) EIE (ENFj) SEE (ESFp) LIE (ENTj) IEE (ENFp) LSE (ESTj)
Famous Introvert Persons
Business Leader, Scientist
Famous Extrovert Persons
George Bush Sr.
|Overview||Introvert/Extrovert||Rational (Judging)/Irrational (Perceiving)||Intuitive/Sensing|